Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Hello members,

i am a classical guitarist and fascinated of the early baroque music. so i decided learning to play this music on a baroque guitar.
My luthier who build my classical will build one for me.

So, i want to know from the "players" which things are important by planning the instrument.

- Stringlength: i never played an bg before. playing know a SL 65 cm "Torres" and for the classical repertoire it is quite comfortable.

- frets on the neck related to the stringlength or how many frets are required on the neck to play sanz, corbetta, de murcia...

- which pitch of the instrument e´or f´

- space between one chor

thank you for your help.

michael

Views: 583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello michael, I see you haven't got any replies yet. I have ordered a Baroque guitar from Luciano Faria and still after almost 1 1/2 year I haven't got it! But I have converted my first classical-a rather smallish one- into a "baroque" guitar by inserting three xtra pegs and strung it with nylon baroque strings from Strings by mail. It works fine! But the real thing has 10 frets on the fretboard and usually 2 on the board. It's ok with a string length of 65. Space between the courses: I ordered a vihuela to have the centres of the courses where the strings are on a classical guitar in order to switch more easily from one instrument to the other and I am very happy with that, It saves me a lot of adaptation. You should think about it too. As for the distance between the two strings of a course you should approach a luthier of baroque guitars, for instance Alexander Batov.
Hello Herry,
thank´s a lot for your detailed answer. Sorry for the late answer, i thought my questions are stupid.

Your informations will help me a lot.

best wishes

Michael
http://www.cincinnatiearlymusic.com/baroque_guitar.html

This site might be helpful... Though it's not specific to the questions you ask.

Hope so!

Best

Alan
Here there is a baroque guitar plans for sale... If your luthier want's to build one...
http://www.luth.org/plans/early.htm#plan27

Another question, I'm looking for a site with plans but for renaissance guitar... Ihaven't found one...
V.
For the renaisssance guitar, the plan of the Belchior Diaz was available in England ;
perhaps you can ask to Alexander Batov where is it possible to find it ...
http://www.cph.rcm.ac.uk/GenPublicationsMuseumPlans.htm
RCM 171 Guitar by Belchior Dias, Lisbon, 1581, £25
Vaulted back, body length 365 mm, belly not original.
(2 sheets, 1120 x 770 mm, with additional notes)
Drawn by Stephen Barber, 1976

it must be still available . (thanks for JFD ...)
Hello Valery,

thank you for the information. The plans was not the problems to me. My luthier have some.

I wanted to know from bg players what is important in setup the instrument, to switch easier from the classical guitar.

thank you

best wishes

Michael
Hello Alan,

thank you for your help. It is a nice site for basic informations.

best wishes

Michael

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service