Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

General Discussion (268)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Unidentified Painting

Can anyone identify this painting.   As you can see it is from the sleeve of a CD of music by De Visee but no details are given in the line…

Started by Monica Hall

4 Aug 29, 2016
Reply by Monica Hall

Six course Spanish guitar and Salvador Castro de Gistua

Castro de Gistua seems a shadowy figure active in the late eighteenth century. Much of his work was published in Paris contained in the se…

Started by Martyn Hodgson

0 Aug 23, 2016

Ladder vs. fan Panormos

I'm building several Panormo model guitars and have finished two.  One is in Brazilian rosewood and the other is in maple.  I made both of…

Started by Bernie Lehmann

1 Aug 18, 2016
Reply by Jelma van Amersfoort

Stringing of bass courses on the late 18th century six course Spanish Guitar.

Further to the previous recent discussions (in the Early Romantic Guitar forum) around the string tensions and the fretting (ie fixed met…

Started by Martyn Hodgson

0 Aug 11, 2016

Orpheus Caledonius

Does anybody have a facsimile of Orpheus Caledonius that they would be willing to share?

Started by Bill Brettschneider

0 Aug 9, 2016

A question about Sanz and rasguado.

I have noticed that many interpreters of Gaspar Sanz's music add rasguado sections that are not written in the tablature. Is there historic…

Started by Olav Fylling

4 Aug 9, 2016
Reply by Monica Hall

Pinky rest height?

I've seen a number of romantic guitars with a pinky rest. Now, I have one a period guitar with a shadow where a rest used to be, but I have…

Started by Fernando Kurka

1 Jul 22, 2016
Reply by Fernando Kurka

Giacomo Gorzanis transcribed for renaissance guitar

I Learned these pieces more than 40 years ago for the guitar and recorder and thought I would go the original lute manuscript and transcrib…

Started by Michael P Walker

0 Jun 30, 2016

Playford, Dancing Master

I have a question about Rhythm in John Playfords "Dancing Master." He seems to use whole notes with black heads in place of half notes, and…

2 Jun 28, 2016
Reply by Tonyyyy

Earliest use of a footstool?

Inspired by the capo post, I wanted to ask what the earliest documented use of a footstool similar to modern classical guitar technique mig…

0 May 21, 2016

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service