Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Timo Peedu asked me for my variations to the Terantella used in my strumming video and on my Music Player on My Page. He said he is writing his own and wanted to look at mine as well. Well, why don't we open this up to everyone here?

I've uploaded a pdf of my variations over the chords Am G C G Am E Am - nothing very creative, but I hope within the general style. So, come on, fellow guitarists, add a few variations of your own. If you don't have a tablature setting programme, send a jpg. Fronimo users can send me a fronimo file which I could make into a pdf.

The chord sequence is a very typical one of the period, so learning to make up even very simple variations is a great way to understand the repertoire. A lot of so-called 'compositions' from the period are merely collections of variations on such chord sequences. Sanz tells us that he published his books as examples of things to do over these chord progressions - in other words we should be making up our own, with his books as a style guide.

Modern improvisers, jazz, rock and blues players, have countless books of ways of improvising over stock sequences. It would be great if we could have something similar. So let's start here. Even if you only contribute one variation, that would be great.

So, Timo, how are you getting on?

Views: 221

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Three cheers! Timo Peedu has submitted three excellent variations, or diferencias, if you prefer. With the original one, plus my four and Timo's three, we have eight variations. Come on guys, we won't stop until we can rival Bach's Chaconne!

And in the words of maestro Peedu, 'This is great fun'.

See attachment.
Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service