Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Is anyone here familiar with the album Cancion del Emperador by Jose Miguel Moreno?

I'm interested in finding out more information about the instrument he played on this CD. It has a really nice delicate sound. I'm thinking it might be a comparatively shallow-bodied vihuela given the crisp top end and relative lack of bottom.  

Views: 814

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I don't have the album you mentioned but Canto del Cavallero recorded in 1993.  He may use the same vihuela as in Cancion album because the sounds on both albums seem to share similar character you described (I've listened to the MP3 samples of Concion at amazon.com).  Unfortunately, however, neither he or the auther of the linar notes gives any info on the instrument he plays.

For what is worth, Nigel North gives fairly detailed info on his vihuela in his Guitar Collection album.  It was made by Klaus Jacobson [sic] in 1984.  Overall length: 78cm,  string length: 55cm, body width: 24.5cm, and body depth: 6cm.  The body seems to be fairly shallow.  The instrument looks like the one depicted on the cover of the Luys Milan's book:

http://earlyguitar.ning.com/photo/2111060:Photo:42?context=latest

Hope this would be of any help.

Thanks to both Akira, and Mel, who replied privately.

6cm is a pretty shallow depth. No doubt that would limit the bass response and give a crisper sound methinks. I will look around for Nigel North's album.

José-Miguel used to play on intruments by his (former ?) wife Lourdes Uncilla-Moreno, but now his is playing on instruments made by himself.

He is a very kind guy and a fantastic versatile musician.

V.

There are two albums by Moreno in www.emusic.com.  None of these is canción del emperador, but maybe the instruments in those two recordings are the ones you are looking for. You can buy Rob's album there, too.

I received a comment on my Smugmug lutherie gallery from a Lex Eisenhardt, who saw this post, but is not a member here. He said Jose plays up at the hypothetical '12 fret" position and this contributes to this tone. I tried it and yes it really does change the tone and it is sweeter up there. I'm just used to playing back over the rose. I know Ronn Macfarlane sometimes changes his playing position as you can hear him pluck back by the bridge to accent a passage, with the sharper tone you get back there, then move back up toward the rose to return to the "normal" tone. I've known of the technique from playing guitar for many years.
Olá José Miguel, Como va tu vida? Hace años que non te veo. Tienes un teléfono para que te pueda llamar? Abrazo, Manuel

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service