Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Renaissance Guitar & Vihuela (73)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

renaissance guitar plans ?

Hello dear fellow members, Does anyone know where to find plans for a renaissance guitar and/or shed some lights about timber choice, inte…

Started by gilles T

2 Dec 1, 2017
Reply by gilles T

Info about Vihuela Chambure

Good morning to all the members and thank you for letting me join the group. I am from Guatemala, actually  I am a violin maker, I just fin…

Started by Feiga Siedler

30 Nov 19, 2017
Reply by Martyn Hodgson

Latin Instructions for the "Guiterne" in Pierre Phalèse, 1570.

Does anyone know if there is a translation into English or French of the instructions for the guitar in Phalèse, 1570 ? You can download th…

Started by Jean-Marie Poirier

6 Oct 17, 2017
Reply by Dr. Christopher Page

Help with translation

I'm trying to understand how to change tuning when I see the words " ioue a corde aualee."   Does his mean a string is lowered or raised?  …

Started by Michael P Walker

3 Oct 8, 2017
Reply by Michel Uhlmann

Stringing of the early four course guitar (again......)

Looking, yet again, at early four course guitar stringing I'd be grateful for any additional perspectives especially on the stringing of t…

Started by Martyn Hodgson

32 Sep 5, 2017
Reply by Monica Hall

Vihuela tuning

I am trying to understand how a vihuela is to be tuned.  Is it literaly tuned like the guitar with the exception of the third string (E,A,D…

Started by Isidro alcantar

12 Jun 27, 2017
Reply by Yuri Liman

adapting baroque pieces for 4-course ?

Hello all, Assuming, from various historical sources, that the 4-course guitar was still played well until the mid-seventeenth century (at…

Started by gilles T

6 Jun 12, 2017
Reply by Alexandros Kalkos

atalanta fugiens complete 50 canons vihuela transcription

dear friends if you want you can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZEETrV7lXS30ifSxT9qw9g

Started by Davide Bortolai

2 Dec 18, 2016
Reply by Davide Bortolai

Adrian Le Roy's Guitar books

British Library has launched a webpage with Facsimiles of 300 Volumes with early music - 16th century. Among them Le Roy's 5 books for Renn…

Started by Michael Vesth

17 Oct 7, 2016
Reply by Michael P Walker

Vihuela string heights

I would very much like to know the ideal string heights from the fingerboard of a vihuela since my fingers feel as if they are trudging ins…

Started by Christopher Allworth

2 Oct 6, 2016
Reply by Bill Brettschneider

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service