Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Instrument Building, Repair, and Strings (105)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

the best way to do reproduction instruments

Hi All, I would like to canvas some opinions on reproducing period instruments. Do we think its better to produce a clone of a certain inst…

Started by Andrew Doriean

2 May 13, 2011
Reply by Scot Tremblay

Renaissance Guitar plans/measurements

Hello everyone!   I am new here and I and going to attempt to make a renaissance guitar. Luckily for me, my dad likes to build cabinets and…

Started by Javier Rivera

13 May 10, 2011
Reply by Scot Tremblay

J.A. Stauffer Build

I often get asked by clients, for a look at the inner workings of their guitars as I build. I've just uploaded a few photos to my photo pag…

Started by Scot Tremblay

15 Apr 30, 2011
Reply by Hans Kockelmans

Gut strings

Hi all!   I read on the opening page of this group: "For all GUT STRUNG historical guitars and related plucked, fretted instruments pre Tor…

Started by Melos Antigos

7 Apr 23, 2011
Reply by Hans Kockelmans

Vihuela building

I am wonder if I would be able to make vihuela by myself... Do you know where can I get some "plan" of it? Thanks Petr

Started by Petr Valenta

15 Apr 5, 2011
Reply by Harlan Kemp

Renaissance Steam Bending

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how they steam-bended vihuela sides and lute backs during the renaissance?  I know today most peop…

Started by Adam Cripps

25 Mar 11, 2011
Reply by Alexander Batov

New Aquila Nylgut

I've tried some of Aquila'a new Nylgut type strings on one of my Romantic Guitars. These are the 3 plain unwound strings. The new type ar…

Started by Michael. N.

15 Feb 19, 2011
Reply by Tonyyyy

Double Top/Nomex Composite Tops for Period Guitars.

Over on another guitar form someone asked a question concerning the use of Nomex composite tops on period style guitars. Modern guitar buil…

Started by Scot Tremblay

1 Feb 14, 2011
Reply by Michael. N.

Vihuelas with larger upper bout than lower

There are many images from the 15th and 16th centuries of vihuelas with larger upper bouts than lower, as in the images below. More can be…

Started by Rob MacKillop

8 Nov 19, 2010
Reply by Rob MacKillop

Help to Identify Guitar.

I need a little help with dating and maybe identifying the maker of this instrument. It's well made with a Brazilian Rosewood veneer on spr…

Started by Scot Tremblay

1 Nov 13, 2010
Reply by Scot Tremblay

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service