Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Instrument Building, Repair, and Strings (105)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Material for vihuela rosette

Hi all, how are you? Could you help me with a vihuela rose? I have made some with parchment, with good results. But now I am trying one w…

Started by Rodrigo Mateus

14 Mar 11, 2013
Reply by Rodrigo Mateus

luthiers 1770 - 1850

I have added a list of 297 guitar builders between ca 1770-1850 on my page. Not complete of course... If someone has information about a gu…

Started by Hans Kockelmans

38 Feb 1, 2013
Reply by Thomas Schmitt

New project

Hello group.  I have made over 100 instruments in the last twenty years including many early instruments.  It has been my intention to make…

Started by Dave Bucher

7 Jan 30, 2013
Reply by Alan Arthur Suits

Stauffer style guitar

Hello My name is Rasmus Erlemann. I'm a luthier from Estonia.I came into possession of an old Stauffer guitar. It has been restored but unf…

Started by Rasmus Erlemann

4 Dec 2, 2012
Reply by Akira Sakamoto

Baroque guitar pegs treatment

Hi all, I would like to know what are you using for tuning pegs, to make it smooth, without sliping. I am using a recipe someonte told me…

Started by Rodrigo Mateus

4 Nov 27, 2012
Reply by Akira Sakamoto

Modern baroque guitar

Here's my take on a modern baroque guitar that I've just finished.

Started by Emma L

2 Aug 11, 2012
Reply by Emma L

Two Chittarinos (or Vihuelitas?)

Here's two 'chitarrinos' I built (I believe that'd be the right word for them?) The tuning is more perhaps more like a small vihuela, which…

Started by Emma L

7 Jul 30, 2012
Reply by Emma L

vihuela peghead thickness

Why is it that some of the surviving vihuelas/guitars have pegheads that taper in thickness, (thicker at the nut end)?  Is this just for lo…

Started by andrew edwards

1 Jun 19, 2012
Reply by Peter Forrester

Bar below the bridge

In his article on guitar bridges, Sinier de Ridder writes that Pons and Lacote added a bar below the bridge (i.e. between the bridge and t…

Started by John Underhill

12 May 31, 2012
Reply by Michael. N.

lute frets

Hi - can someone tell me how I figure out what grade of lute fret to buy?  I realize they are different for each fret - but which size goes…

Started by Alan Mills

4 Apr 23, 2012
Reply by Alan Mills

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service