Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Instrument Building, Repair, and Strings (105)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Swedish baroque lute need strings

Hello,  I have recently bought a swedish baroque lute which i will be fixing so it's playable again. Therefore i will be needing some new s…

Started by Frederik Ryding

6 Jun 12, 2020
Reply by Noé-Merlin-Stanislas Gremaud

Any ideas what it is??

Hello to all, This worn old instrument is waiting on my desk, and I have no idea what it should be. Saddle repair and crack fixing is ongoi…

Started by Michael

6 Apr 29, 2020
Reply by Martyn Hodgson

Neck reset advice for early romantic guitar

Hello all,  I have what I think to be a circa 1830s guitar  (which, interestingly, is almost the exact body outline of the Lacote guitar th…

Started by Christopher Davies

4 Feb 23, 2020
Reply by Christopher Davies

Help with identifying guitar.

An ex colleague of mine who knows I play guitar & lute, sent me some photos of a guitar and asked if I knew anything about it. There is…

Started by Steve Metcalfe

3 Feb 4, 2020
Reply by Steve Metcalfe

Asymmetry in 19th Century Guitar Shapes

I haven't posted for a long time. But I've been checking on you folks often. So today I decided to get back into it. I have a question for…

Started by Scot Tremblay

4 Mar 13, 2019
Reply by Poul Hansen

Sources for vihuela plans and/or technical discussion?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and the site, and was very happy to find it. I've built a few instruments, currently finishing up a T…

Started by Dino Silone

9 Aug 6, 2018
Reply by Jan van Cappelle

A free set of Vihuela plans

As a little summer surprise I've shared one of my building plans for free. A year ago some of my friends and students at the Bouwerskonta…

Started by Jan van Cappelle

0 Aug 6, 2018

A substitute "Baroque guitar" for less than $200

Hello friends. I have had a baroque lute for many years and lately I have been playing "Baroque Uke". But there is no way that I can afford…

Started by Glenn Godsey

12 Jun 16, 2018
Reply by Don Rowe

man-hours to make a baroque guitar, and archlute

Hi friends, Could anyone please tell me the difference in man-hours to make a baroque guitar, (without the rosette) vs. an archlute, or any…

Started by Claudio Solares

4 Mar 5, 2017
Reply by Jan van Cappelle

Buying Baroque Guitar Strings

I have a student who has recently bought a second-hand baroque guitar, and wishes to buy a set of strings, nylon or nylgut. I tried Bridgew…

Started by Rob MacKillop

39 Jan 14, 2017
Reply by Monica Hall

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service