Early Guitars and Vihuela

A network for historic guitars and vihuelas

Instrument Building, Repair, and Strings (105)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

thickness of back staves in baroque vaulted-back guitars

Hello, I am delighted to join the EGV community !Do you have any recommandations for the thickness of back staves in vaulted-back baroque g…

Started by Nicolas Eterradossi

4 Jan 8, 2017
Reply by Nicolas Eterradossi

What guitar is this?

Good evening, I've just bought for few cents this guitar. Seems to be interesting for me - kind of romantic.90,50 cm long. But has anyone i…

Started by Adalbert Arbuscula

4 Oct 7, 2016
Reply by Bill Brettschneider

viola da gamba

This is not really a vihuela/early guitar topic, but was wondering if anybody on the forum could help me with the setup (bridge height etc)…

Started by andrew edwards

1 Apr 17, 2016
Reply by Bill Brettschneider

Parchment preparation?

Hello wood comrades! I'm building my first baroque guitar and I'm somewhat stuck with the parchment rosette. I've bought some parchment but…

Started by Antonio Hernández

2 Jan 26, 2016
Reply by Antonio Hernández

Finish for vihuela

Would FP shellac be to soft for the neck of a vihuela, would the fret gut mark it. What finish would you recommend?

Started by andrew edwards

2 Jan 19, 2016
Reply by Mark Day

Grobert?

I joined recently at the suggestion of someone I communicated with on the internet, to hopefully get information on a guitar I got a few ye…

Started by Joel Rosinsky

8 Dec 5, 2015
Reply by sergio muselli

Baroque guitar neck/body joint advice

I am planning to use a wedged Spanish heel for the neck/body joint of the baroque guitar I am trying to build (as described in Peter Forres…

Started by Gavin Cawley

6 Dec 4, 2015
Reply by Gavin Cawley

Renaissance guitar makers

Hi everyone, Could you suggest any renaissance guitar makers on the East Coast of the U.S.? Or, maybe, someone who wants to sell a used ins…

Started by Dmitry Medvedev

3 Nov 18, 2015
Reply by Kerry Alt

Books on baroque guitar construction

I am planning to build myself a baroque guitar (based on either the 1688 or 1700 Stradivari), can anyone recommend a reference book that…

Started by Gavin Cawley

39 Sep 1, 2015
Reply by Jan van Cappelle

String lenght and pitch?

I have an eight course renaissance lute with a 600mm string length. What would the proper pitch be for this instrument? And, what tuning?…

Started by Fernando Kurka

5 Dec 12, 2014
Reply by Fernando Kurka

RSS

© 2024   Created by Jelma van Amersfoort.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service